Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Fantastic Field Trips

Theme: This week I’d like to invite you to share your favourite field-trip that you’ve been able to go on since you’ve started homeschool.
I'm going to take the liberty of interpreting "since you've started homeschool" rather broadly.
You see, as a homeschooling mother, I really haven't been homeschooling very long, and I can't think of a particular field trip to write about. But, going back a few years (OK, almost a quarter of a century but who's counting) to when I was a homeschool student, I remember some spectacular field trips. Oh, we didn't call them that, we just called them trips. Our family vacations. The one I particularly remember happened the year I turned 6.
Sometime in April, my mom and dad packed up our big family van, loaded in 5 kids between the ages of 1 and 9, and took off. We drove from Utah to the Mexican boarder, then through Mexico almost to the Guatemalan boarder. We saw Mexico city, climbed ancient pyramids, swam in the ocean, heard lots of Spanish, drove on a lot of twisty mountain roads, and picked up a pretty bad flu on the way. For a little farm girl from Utah, it was an awesome adventure. I celebrated my 6th birthday on that trip.
Looking back, with the wisdom and experience of many years spent overseas, my parents say that trip was a crazy thing to do. But with an adventurous spirit and just enough naivete to not know the dangers, they took us on a field trip that we would never forget.

2 comments:

Renee said...

What a marvelous trip and memories!Thanks for sharing.

Renee'
http://rmboys1.wordpress.com/

Anonymous said...

Did you get a flu in Mexico or did you drink the water?

I took my son to an indoor swimming pool tonight to watch his Daddy do Boy Scout rescue stuff. It was the first time my son had ever seen a pool or a diving board. And it was competition size. He was pretty impressed.

Does that count as a field trip?