Saturday, August 23, 2008

First Principles and Ordinances

Our church has no professional clergy, and addresses during Sunday services are given by members of the congregation. I was called on to speak this week (I did know a couple of weeks in advance). My topic was one of the Articles of Faith of the church, which states:
"We believe that the first principles and ordinances of the Gospel are: first, Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ; second, Repentance; third, Baptism by immersion for the remission of sins; fourth, Laying on of hands for the gift of the Holy Ghost." I guess I found a lot to say because when I went to sit down the Bishop said we would dispense with the second talk on the program and proceed with a closing song and prayer. Oops. I guess my poor husband (who was scheduled as the second speaker) will have to wait 'till another time. I have to say that's the first time I have given a talk that went overtime. Usually I struggle to find enough to say to fill my alotted 15 minutes or so!

1 comment:

Kelley said...

Wow! I wish I could have heard your talk.