Tuesday, April 14, 2009

If I weren't there...

Last night as I snuggled down at bed time with my still-nursing toddler I called out "Sweet Dreams!" to the kids going to bed in the next room. Little Esther looked up at me and said "ee eee!" copying my intonation exactly. I said "sweet dreams" to her, and she went back to nursing. Several times before she fell asleep though she pulled away, looked up, and said "ee eee". I always responded "sweat dreams!" and, satisfied, she snuggled close again. I lay there thinking how glad I was to be there, to share those little moments with her. Then I thought of all the other things I am there for, and how much I would be missing if my days were spent away from my children.
I'm just glad to be here.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

Amen Sister! What a precious moment!

Catherine Agnes said...

A wonderful post.

Maile said...

Amen! I've been really grateful recently that I have the perspective of how wonderful it is to be a mother who spends my days with my kids and that I have a husband who is so completely supportive of this.

Kelley said...

Until recently I was watching a little girl all day while her parents worked. The mom traveled A LOT and was gone most of the week. I grew to love the little girl and I tried to treat her as I did my own kids, but I wasn't a substitute for her mom.

It all hit home for me one day when I was putting Rachel down for her nap. As I leaned over the crib and basked in her beautiful, sunshiny smile, my heart about broke thinking about the other little girl's mommy and how much she was missing. The sky would have to be falling in before I would willing leave my babies.

There is a happy ending to this story, though. The little girl's mommy was laid off last Monday and now she is able to home with her kids. It is wonderful, and I am thrilled for her.

Mrs. Thoughtskoto said...

Great post!
Isn't it a great blessing as mothers to witness how our children grow each day. My hubby asked me about a week ago if I want to work now that our daughter has turned 1 yr old, he's just worrying that I'm getting bored in the house already- I quickly answered him 'I wouldn't want to, unless necessary'. Nothing in the career world can better compensate for the happiness of being there with/for our children.

Keeley said...

Oh this was so sweet it brought tears to my eyes.