Thursday, April 16, 2009

Heartsick

Yesterday evening I was in Target, kidlets in tow. As we made our way through the office supplies section, I could hear a loud voice coming from the next isle over. As they rounded the end of the aisle I saw two teenage girls, one talking on a cell phone with the volume turned up so high I could hear both sides of the conversation. What I heard went something like this:

Girl: I'm gonna have a girl. If the doctors tell me it's a boy I'm having an abortion...
(male voice on the phone): But it's a baby...
Girl: Nah, I want a girl. If it's a boy I'm gonna...

The voices faded as the girls walked away. I felt like I had been splashed with cold water. The tone of the conversation of that of flippant, irreverant teenage gossip; the subject was a human life. I reluctantly followed my kids down the aisle, wishing I could follow ofter this young woman and communicate to her just how precious a baby is.
I still wish I could.

6 comments:

Breezy Point Mom said...

Okay. My jaw is still on the floor. It is terrible just to read it on your blog. I can only imagine what it must have been like to hear it in person. We can always pray for a miracle in her life, and that of her child.

MaryAnne said...

So sad...

Anonymous said...

I remember when I was in high school. A girl I had gym class with, also happened to work with me the following summer. We crossed paths one day, and she just didn't look very happy, so I asked her how she was. Everything came out. I had no idea how to respond to her... I always wonder if I could have done anything to change her mind. I think besides herself and her boyfriend, I was the only other person she told, and we hardly knew each other. I was 14 years old. It still breaks my heart.

Kelly said...

Oh my!!! That is soooo incredibly horrible! I can't even imagine. :( :( I'm sorry you had to hear that, and even sorrier that there are people out there that really think that way. :(

Kelley said...

Wow. I hope someone can talk to that girl before she takes a precious life. I hope...

Romany said...

Ohhhhh..how terrible.

I don't know how I would have reacted. It must have been a shock. Well, at least we can pray for that baby.