Monday, November 8, 2010

Groceries

Oh boy am I going to miss Trader Joe's. The adventuresome trader has apparently not set up any outposts in Utah yet--too far in the back country I guess.
The kids and I went grocery shopping today. Here are the things they begged me to buy:

papaya
pomegranate
persimmon
brussel sprouts
butternut squash
cheese puffs
gummi bears

Yes, my kids really do beg for brussel sprouts. We cooked them tonight with daikon and portobello mushroom soup. Yummy! I hadn't have daikon in a long time--I should buy it more often.

7 comments:

sara and gailon said...

The closest Trader Joe's to Utah is in Las Vegas. They state that they are not here due to the fact that we are a dry state...liquor is to be sold at the state store not the market...we miss TJ's too!

MaryAnne said...

What is daikon?

I need to shop at Trader Joe's more often...

Kelley said...

I've been hearing rumblings that we're getting one here in KC. I'm so excited! I've never been in one, but I've heard a lot about them

Kelly said...

LOL! I love that - begging for Brussels sprouts! I need to take my kids to Trader Joe's! [none near where I live either though!]

Keeley said...

Wow, how awesome your children beg for that stuff. Are you vegan/vegetarian?

Anonymous said...

Wow!! Heading to Utah! I would love to be in Utah in a lot of ways. But we would also really miss Trader Joe's. I don't know what daikon is, either. I'm impressed your kids will eat all those things. We're visiting my parents right now and when my mom asked my oldest if she wanted carrots, my daughter exclaimed, "We don't eat vegetables!" Whoops!

- Maile

Paula said...

Daikon is a Japanese radish--not like our little red radishes, they're huge, like giant white carrots. They taste radishy but much milder than the little ones. They're really good in soups and such.
In the interest of full disclosure, my kids don't eat huge amounts of vegetables--and Luke frequently picks vegetables out of things. They do like to try them, though, and are generally more willing to eat something they picked out at the store and helped prepare!