Friday, February 20, 2009

Emulating Mary

Luke chapter 10:38-42
Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word.
But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
I have been struggling for a long time with prioritizing my activities. As I read the story of Mary sitting at the Savior's feet, I feel that I need to make Mary's choice. It seems that from the time I wake up in the morning until I go to bed at night (and, yes, all night long as well...) I am juggling the various needs of my children and family. Time for personal scripture study, prayer, evaluation and planning just doesn't seem to exist. But I am changing that.
My kids go to bed late (when we do). That usually leaves me with some time in the morning before they wake up (or at least, after they wake up, come in and snuggle, and go back to sleep...) I have been making a special effort this past week to use that time for personal prayer and scripture study. I have also made a renewed effort to consisitently hold morning devotionals with the children, reading scriptures and singing together.
I can't say my life has been revolutionized, but I know I'm on the right track.

No comments: